Phlebotomy Training Classes: What to Expect
What is Phlebotomy?
Before we deep-dive into phlebotomy classes, it’s important that you have a clear understanding of what exactly phlebotomy is. Phlebotomy is the practice of removing blood from the veins or body for the purpose of medical testing, donation, or other uses.
Phlebotomy is often performed by a nurse, doctor, or by a specialized technician such as a phlebotomist.
What Will I Learn in Phlebotomy Class?
In phlebotomy class, you’ll learn everything you need to know to have a successful career in healthcare such as a hospital, laboratory, blood donation center or clinic setting. In phlebotomy training, expect to learn:
- Blood Collection Procedures: This is core to the daily processes of a phlebotomist. You’ll learn venipuncture techniques for different people (newborns, seniors, etc.).
- Special Collections and Point-Of-Care Testing: You will become familiar with specific and unique collection procedures for bodily fluids.
- Lab Safety Practices: You’ll become an expert in safely handling lab equipment & clean up processes.
- Anatomy & Physiology: You’ll become well-versed in the core anatomy and physiology that you deal with as a phlebotomist.
- Cell & Blood Make-Up: In class, you will learn how infection affects the blood and cells and how to prevent this when drawing blood.
- Medical Terminology: You will learn special vocabulary of scientific and technical terms used in the healthcare setting.
How Long is Phlebotomy Training?
The duration of phlebotomy training classes varies from program to program. Programs can be as long as a few months or as a few weeks.
Where Can I Find Phlebotomy Classes in Baltimore?
Top Knowledge Healthcare Institution is your premier source for phlebotomy courses in Baltimore, Maryland. With Top Knowledge Healthcare Institute, you can receive your phlebotomy training in as few as 4 weeks.
Interested in becoming a phlebotomist? Request program registration information! Fill out the form below.